Friday, July 25, 2008

Tryna Maintain!




Generally, when a woman is called "high maintenance", it has a negative connotation, and while the term might suggest that a woman is needy, frivolous, superficial, etc. it may also mean that she knows just how to put herself together. Now I understand that this may not be important to some, but as a woman who always tries to be presentable, I am not sure this is so bad. There is a definite correlation between looking good and feeling good. While reading Memoirs of Bernardo Vega for homework I came across a passage that I found particularly relevant; and being the makeup obbssessed woman that I am; I of course I had to apply it to my thoughts on not only beauty and makeup, but on feeling ones best.
:)

He writes: "Nothing is less likely to bring about a change of fortune than wearing misery on your face. Which is why I made a habit of dressing that much better the worse off I was financially." Now while he was referring to financial misfortune, the same concept applies to other aspects of life. When you are having one of your "ugly days" [and we all have them] - those are the days to turn it up a notch. Do your makeup extra special, or wear a bangin outfit. It will surely boost your spirits and attract positivity your way; and why not take it to the next level and look your best everyday? It's not about being "high maintenance", it's about feeling good about yourself and presenting the best YOU there is every time you step out into the world. For me that means a full face of makeup everyday - LOL .... so does that make me high maintenance...

1 comment:

CHRIS LIVE AKA SHAKER said...

How exciting is reading 1 of your 1st comments? Ahhhhh, I know the feeling well as I have recently started an amazing blog myself @ www.thisislivestyle.blogspot.com (shameless plug).

First and foremost, check out the blog on that girl! Ummmmmm, I apologize if that sounded crude and eerily reminiscent of a construction worker cat call, but, it is what it is. Now, let's tackle this subject really quickly.

While I do undoubtedly agree with you about there being a very real correlation between looking good AND feeling good, the problem occurs most often when somebody convinces themself that they must "look good" @ all times and @ all costs in order to feel good.

I would caution anybody against having the ultimate determinant of their "feeling good" being based upon new clothing and/or make up. In fact, I would submit that looking good 1st starts on your interior and kind of sweetly sweats it's way out of your beautifully exfoliated pores and finally mainfests itself as productive and positive energy. Trust me, it smells something like Bay Rum© ... lol.

People gravitate towards you OR hit the muthafuckin' exit based on that engery yo. Shiiiiiiiiiit, men like me (ie: real niggas)base their future with a woman on her ability to successfully manage and navigate life's obstacles while remaining somewhat optimistic. We already know that there are going to be some issues and we can't have you falling apart because your wig aint did ... lol. Nobody wants to come home to a daily "pity party" @ club ME, ME, ME. Now, how real is that homie?


CHRIS LIVE AKA SHAKER