Monday, October 18, 2010

Banned In The USA?


Kanye West stirs up controversy once again, as the cover art for his new album "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy" is released.

Although West has been making a fuss via twitter, it seems that in reality the cover was not so much "banned" as it is being frowned upon. West's record label Universal Music Group’s Island Def Jam, has been strongly urging him to consider using a different cover amidst concerns that family oriented retailers such as Wal-Mart will refuse to carry the album as is.

Understandable from any company that their first priority would be their bottom line. Allegedly he was told that if he refused to change the cover art, his label would ultimately stand behind him.

So in this age of digital downloads is Wal-Mart really that serious? Kanye doesn't seem to think so, he tweeted: "In all honesty ... I really don't be thinking about Wal-Mart when I make my music or album covers #Kanyeshrug!,"

Personally, I'm not in love with this cover myself. #Kamilahshrug
What am I really looking at here? An angel with the face of a beast and the tail of a dalmatian? Dude drinking a 40 while smashing some chick on a couch? Two people with truly unfortunate dental situations?
I know it's supposed to be seen as ART, and it's certainly bold and attention grabbing, but it just seems kind of empty to me.

No comments: