Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The New Lash


What lady doesn't love lush lashes? I don't see mascara going out of style...but mascara is no longer enough. The last few years have seen a BOOM in the semi-permanent eyelash market. 

Unfortunately, though I have had 1 or 2 decent experiences with semi-permanent lashes,  for the most part they suck. The glue burns your eyes, your lashes get stuck together, and even if they look good for 1 whole week, its all downhill from there. I have had 1 eye with super long lashes, and 1 where they've all fallen out, and this makes my boyfriend look at me funny. Not the effect I was going for.

Plus, they're not cheap either, and I will not resort to allowing my local 'hood nail salon to bust out some Krazy glue on my eyelashes for $20.00.  

So, what if your semi-permanents, were permanent? New products whose formulations started off as glaucoma medications have been hitting the market, and the reviews have been consistently stellar, to the point of even being a bit scary. I first read about these lash serums a few months back in The New York Times Magazine, you can read the full article here.  I take this magazine as a pretty reputable source, and the writer actually does a first hand account as she tries a product called Revitalash on herself. Within 8 weeks her lashes nearly double in length, and are long to the point that she calls them "unnatural, and almost unhealthy looking" Word? Sign me up!

Seriously though, there are potential risks here, research and caution is your friend. A similar product from Jan Marini was recently recalled by the FDA for being unsafe, even as  the Phillip Thomas Roth version has become a hot seller at Sephora. Revitalash has remained a forerunner though, check out their website to read reviews and press on the product, and of course to purchase it. revitalash.com

I am planning to test out the product myself, and I intend to order sometime this week, so look out for my reviews on revitalash coming soon.

*Ive also read good things about LiLash (lilash.com) They also make a brow serum for fuller eyebrows, though I think you can use any of the lash serums on your brows too.

No comments: