Monday, September 29, 2008

Would you? Why or Why not?

Hello guys,

I missed you all, I hope that the feelings are mutual. I have a question that I would like to get feedback on, and I want you to be truthful because for 1) we only keep it real on this site, and for 2) I would like to know if all or most women think alike. The question is: Would you date the Garbage Collector?


There has been a negative connotation attached to this profession for quite a while and I have often wondered if it's just because women don't want to be hugging a stink a** man every night when he comes home, or if it runs much deeper?

I am an avid listener of the Michael Baisden show which airs on 98.7 f.m. He always has very interesting topics and it just so happened that this question was one of his topics a while ago. There were a lot of callers and some had mixed feelings/reviews, but the majority answered NO.

My take on this situation is this, I want to date a man that is on the same page as me in the things that really matter. What I mean by this is I'm about something, and everyday of my life except maybe Saturday and Sunday (since those my resting days... just kidding I'm on it 24/7:) I am doing something to propell myself into a better place financially, emotionally, mentally, and physically. If my man is not trying to elevate himself then it won't work. Now, I made sure to say that we should be on the same page in the things that "really matter" because you and your man are not always going to be on the same page about everything. However, the important things (define important amongst the two of you)that matter to you, should matter to him as well.
Many people are under the assumption that garbage collectors do not have any aspirations of being something different and if that's the case then so be it. However, don't assume that he doesn't have a plan for himself just because he's been taking your trash out for the last 4 years. That's just not right. He could be saving up for something, making lucrative investments among many other things. Like the old saying goes, never judge a book by his cover or in this case a man by his uniform. By the way, why should we live by societies definitions of what success really is? Thankfully, we all don't live by those definitions.

Again, this is just my take on it, many people have disaggreed with my stance on this matter and I'm sure many more will. As a matter of fact, a lot of the callers on the show said that they would never date such a man because it's embarrassing. Do we as an individual care that much about what the next man/woman is going to think about us and our relationships? If so, is that a good enough reason to let a good man go?

Please say it ain't so... what do you guys think?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

is he doing this to pay for grad school? i guess as long as he has a plan to do something else. it isn't a bad gig but it should be temporary, not his career.

Anonymous said...

Okay maybe i am different but since i was like 16 i always said i would love to marry a nyc garbage man (and i still would). There are several reason for it. 1. its a great city job with good pay, benefits, and pension. 2. they can find treasures on their route. and 3. they are home early to be their with the family. to me, a man who has a high power job never appealed to me. But if a guy is good, works hard, and has a steady job that pays decent, im happy!

Kamilah said...

I'd date a garbage man, as long as he had the same great qualities I look for in any man. The whole coming home covered in "garbage juice" aspect of it is not sexy, but I wouldn't be embarrassed to admit I was dating him just because he doesn't have a glamorous job.
There are a few areas of employment that would turn me off from a man, but my reasons for that have nothing to do with his job not being "good enough".

Alicia said...

Wow Mara, I never looked at it that way... thanks for the insight and for sharing. There aren't that many women out there that would view things as you and Kamilah expressed.

Jessie said...

I agree with Mara! My cousin just married her high school sweetheart and he is a garbage man! This guy is awesome, handsome, hardworking and they are now homeowners!!! They closed on the house right before the wedding ;)